1. Fruity girly shots make bowling a lot more fun.
2. Even good bowlers mess up.
I witnessed Joey bowl a gutter ball. And it was awesome. And I may have yelled, “AGAIN!” Oops.
3. It’s possible to bowl a 50.
I would know.
4. Friends come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
Gil and Margaret might not be our same age, but I absolutely adored hanging out with them every Thursday night.
5. Witnessing a perfect game is pretty amazing.
Slightly less amazing the 5th time around.
6. Other bowlers can be some of the most understanding and encouraging people.
I witnessed the cheers and high-fives to prove it.
7. Bowling shoes and skinny jeans don’t mix.
No joke, I bought bootcut jeans just to wear to bowling. That’s true dedication.
8. People who listen to their iPods while they bowl are weird.
I thought bowling was all about socializing. Or is that just me?
9. Sitting at the table with the team is much much better than being a spectator sitting in the back.
Which is why I’ve gone to watch Joey bowl a total of 4 times in my life.
10. Doing something that scares you can sometimes be really rewarding.
16 weeks ago, I was horrified that I had actually joined a bowling league. And not just because it meant I’d have to wear dorky shoes and be seen with Joey and his rolling bowling ball bag, but because I don’t like to be on the spot. The thought of having the eyes of people who actually know how to bowl and bowl well, on me while I do something I have barely any experience doing petrified me. I may have complained and felt nervous every.single.week., but 16 weeks later, I can honestly say I’m so so glad I did it.
And really, pretty sad that it’s all over.