This weekend I…
Got a special package delivered straight from New Orleans. <— Thanks, Uncle!
My mom said I shouldn’t have shared with everyone at work. I argued that then I wouldn’t be able to brag that I have family in New Orleans or see the look on people’s faces when you say “don’t accidentally eat the baby!”
Enjoyed Friday evening Happy Hour.
We tried a new place in Louisville. It was cute, affordable, and the pizza was delicious but it just wasn’t the Med.
Cooked a delicious Saturday night dinner.
Beef stroganoff, mustardy brussel sprouts and red wine. I’m on a mission to become a wino but I currently know nothing about wine and am paranoid that liquor store employees are suspicious when I wander around the wine section for so long before finally making a decision.
Had dinner and well, more King Cake at my parents’ on Sunday night.
My mom found the baby, continuing my streak of not finding the baby. FYI this is a Mardi Gras tradition. You hide this plastic baby inside the King Cake and the person who finds it in their piece is in charge of hosting the party the next year.
Other weekend highlights would include…
An outdoor run, seeing Gangster Squad (Ryan Gosling, you so cool), me pretending to work on the puzzle but actually just watching TV instead while Joey comes up with some systematic way to finish all the sky parts that are left, coffee with Hannah, bottling our beer and booking a trip to Vegas for my sister’s 21st birthday!! I think I’m more excited than she is.
Oh! and Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce!
Last week we made “the lazy man’s quiche” aka a fritatta, with ricotta cheese. It was delicious by the way, but we had leftover ricotta that I didn’t want to waste, so ricotta pancakes were born. Lemon and blueberries are the obvious pairings for such pancakes and they turned out to be really delicious.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2-2/3 cup milk (enough to get batter to the right consistency — you want it slightly thick)
For the blueberry sauce:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- juice of half a lemon
- In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, baking soda baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine ricotta, egg, egg white, milk and lemon juice.
- Add ricotta mixture to dry ingredients, mix until just combined and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a griddle, and drop batter by the 1/4 cup once hot. Once bubbles start to form, flip pancakes and cook on the other side.
- While pancakes are cooking, combine blueberries, water and lemon juice in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, then mash blueberries, reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Top pancakes with blueberry sauce and devour!
Now what to do with the 1 cup of ricotta that’s still left over.
What did you do this weekend?
Do you know what a King Cake is?
What’s your favorite weekend breakfast to indulge in?