Uhhhh, I was 100% sure I posted this two weeks ago until I saw it in my “Drafts” folder. Oops! Anyway…
I recently saw someone post a picture of the polenta scramble they made for breakfast and no joke, I hadn’t been able to get it out of my head since. I waited the requisite two weeks for that recipe to show up on the internet, but when it didn’t I decided to do it up on my own. So I put red bell pepper, mushrooms, kale, an avocado and kalamata olives on my grocery list, then woke up one Sunday morning and threw it together. It ended up being a dream breakfast that Joey and I both loved, so here’s the recipe, just for you!
Vegan Polenta Scramble
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup polenta grits
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup sliced baby bellas
- 2 cup kale (or a couple of handfuls), de-ribbed and roughly chopped
- 8(ish) kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, cut into slices
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a small pot, bring broth, water and salt to a boil.
- Add in polenta, reduce heat, and stir until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Pour polenta into a small pan (I used my bread loaf pan), lined with parchment. Smooth polenta, then place in the refrigerator for an hour or the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet then add oil and once hot, add bell pepper and mushrooms and sauté until softened.
- Deglaze pan with a splash of vegetable broth, then add kale and cook until just wilted.
- Remove polenta from fridge/freezer, pull parchment out of the pan, then cut polenta into small cubes.
- Add polenta to skillet, using a spoon to mash some of the cubes (if you want, that is). Then mix in olives and season once more with salt and pepper.
- Serve with avocado and hot sauce, if you didn’t just run out and forgot to buy more.
Do it up!
4 thoughts on “Vegan Polenta Scramble”
This sounds delicious and even more so as I’m on a huge polenta kick right now. I think I’ve tried it scrambled before but that must have been ages ago and I really like all the add-ins you chose.
I always have polenta in the pantry and forget to use it! I hope you try this version and like it 🙂
Ah thanks for sharing! Going to make this soon. Sounds delicious 🙂
Do it, do it!