A Day in the Life

Guys!  Do you like these kinds of posts?  I’m totally nosey about other people’s lives so I love seeing them and thought it’d be fun to do one of my own again.  Written in real time on Thursday but seeing as it’s Friday when you’re reading it, I guess I should say “Happy Weekending!”


When you plan on waking up at 6 AM, you should probably not stay up late watching the Olympics the night before.  I know this, yet I did it anyway.  Summer Olympics only happen once every four years and I must watch every possible second!  “Strawberry Fields Forever” wakes me up, I hit snooze once then reluctantly drag myself out of bed, and into my running clothes.  By 6:20, I’m off!


My 3-miler ends up not being so bad and lo and behold I might actually be in a better mood now!  Probably because I saw a pumpkin-sized round zucchini growing in someone’s yard and found it really funny.  Also, full disclosure: I tried really hard not to run super slow because I knew I’d be taking a picture of my results.


Back at home, I shower and get ready.  Joey delivers me a glass of iced coffee at 7:15 and I love him just a little bit more.  Breakfast is overnight oats, granola and peanut butter (on loop all summer long) while I watch this fascinating Ryan Lochte vs. Brazilian Authorities story unfold on the Today Show.  I have a lot of opinions on this matter, none of which I’ll subject you to.


We’re in the middle of a renovation at our office and it is a complete mess.  It’s going to be really nice once it’s all complete but right now it’s ripped up carpet, dust everywhere and whatever is going on in my ceiling.  Oh and hammering, lots and lots of hammering.  This does, however, give me an excuse to quote my favorite Christmas movie over and over again.  There’s a hole for an eventual window in Joey’s wall and I keep using it to enter and exit his office, because I can!


Joey has just enough time between meetings — he’s spearheading this whole renovation — to eat lunch with me.  Salads-in-a-jar with tarragon vinaigrette, chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, feta, romaine and slivered almonds.  All week, we’ve been escaping the dust to eat lunch at a park down the street but no time today.  C’est la vie.  Lunch is cut short when at least five bees swarm our table and we decide we’ve had enough of the outdoors for one day.


The reno crew leaves around 2:30 every day, at which time our office suddenly feels eerily quiet.  I wish I could tell you something exciting happened work-wise, but it’s a pretty mundane Thursday.  Ordering, invoicing, filing, texting my sister about guacamole.  Oh and I see this and come really close to crying at my desk.  Bookmarking this restaurant for one day when I make it to Atlanta!


I’m the type of person who’s hyper aware of when 5 PM hits so I’m kind of thrown off guard when Joey comes into my office ready to leave and I hadn’t even realized it was time yet!  We make it home, check our garden — patty pan squash are looking NICE — and watch an episode of Seinfeld, but then it’s date night!  It was rainy towards the end of the workday but now the skies have cleared and I’m hoping for perfect ramen on the patio weather at Uncle.


THERE’S NO WAIT.  What?!  I order a watermelon gose and am in my happy place.  We also ordered fried fingerling potatoes with kimchi butter and scallion sour cream so Joey is in his happy place.  Then we both make the best decision of our lives and order the Spicy Chicken Ramen.  The tahini broth is buttery and rich and life changing.  Also, we knock chopsticks the entire time we’re eating.  You would think, after 9 years, we would know which side the left-hander should sit on, but we’re reeeeeally slow learners.


Back at home, we park it on the couch to watch the Olympics — apparently shot putters have to scream while throwing that ball? — and ugh, how cool is Usain Bolt?!  The Jamaicans definitely win for best names too.  Mid-Olympics, we watch Big Brother and by the time it’s over, I’m too tired to even watch Team Brazil win men’s beach volleyball gold.  Wait, they won, right??  Somehow, it is still 11 o’clock by the time I get into bed.  I guess I’ll just sleep more next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s