Bon Appétit regularly posts this picture and in what I can only assume is an act of pure cruelty, the link takes you to a recipe for some Turmeric-Tahini dressing and NOT to a recipe for that delectable-looking grain bowl. Why, Bon Appétit, WHY? Well last week, I took a closer look at that grain bowl and decided I could probably do it up myself. And guys, I gotta say, I think I nailed it!
We made this salad the week before (which, for the record, is phenomenal and will be in regular rotation from now on), so we had leftovers of both the lemon dressing and the tahini that came in really handy for said grain bowl. Basically, it went like this.
- Cook wild rice and mix it with a few tablespoons of lemon dressing
- De-rib and finely chop a head of lacinato kale, then massage with lemon dressing
- Roast two sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Pan-fry some slices of halloumi cheese
- Assemble bowl with rice, kale, sweet potatoes, cheese, a handful of sunflower seeds, a sprinkle of parsley (though next time I’ll use dill) and a generous drizzle of tahini
In other news, an alternate title for this post would be: WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT HALLOUMI CHEESE?! It tastes like Muenster, but saltier and non-melting, so you can actually grill/pan-fry slices of it until golden brown. I mean, it’s also NOT cheap. But for special occasions, like a Wednesday night, ya know? Life as we know it has now changed.
So what do you think, Bon Appétit, am I hired? 🙂
5 thoughts on “The Grain Bowl of Your Dreams”
That sounds so delicious!!! I need to get my hands on some of that cheese!
Seriously try it! It was one of the best cheeses I’ve ever tasted!
I have such a never-dying love for fancy cheeses. Brie and smoked gouda reign supreme, but I’ve never had that kind!
This bowl looks beautiful and I really love someone to make it for me, haha!
I always forget how much I love Brie! Get yourself some Halloumi ASAP!
Love me some halloumi! I have yet to do something with it at home…that is about to change though! YUM!